Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Why Do You Follow Him?

I just got back from Seattle where I accompanied my son who is transferring to Seattle Pacific University. On the way back, I was stuck in the Seattle airport for 6 hours. While wandering around, I noticed that every book store had books called "You: Being Beautiful" and "You: Being Young, etc." I was struck with the bold emphasis on "YOU" and how much it parallels this 'new' Christian message today that tells "you" that "you" can be all the "you" want to be.

Unfortunately, too many would-be followers of Christ are caught up in this 21st century culture of self-centeredness. The “what’s-in-it-for-me” and “I-want-it-now” thinking is gaining ground in the church. It is not the biblical way; it is not the way of Christ’s disciples. Unfortunately, Joel’s teaching may lead people right into this trap, by telling them God wants their dreams to come true.

Many people followed Jesus and at one point in his ministry, thousands were coming to hear Him. However, these were not true disciples: they only followed Jesus for what He could give them. On two different occasions Jesus fed thousands of people miraculously. But they did not understand when Jesus tried to explain to them: “I have food to eat that you don’t know about.” And later when he said: “Unless you eat My flesh and drink My blood, you have no life in you.” This was a turning point in Jesus’ popularity. Many who had been following Him for what He could do stopped following Him. Self-centered, “cultural” Christians will follow Jesus because of what He can do for them. When He demands their all, many will turn away.

No comments:

Post a Comment