Monday, February 9, 2009

Embracing Nothingness

Jesus said “I do nothing of my own initiative.” Jesus did not say he was nothing. He said He did nothing unless God directed Him to do it. This was hard for me because everything I would “do” was meant to make me feel like “something.” I could not easily embrace this nothingness. I wanted to feel like I was good at something! But Jesus says “you can do nothing apart from Me.”

How do we embrace this nothingness (as Jesus did) without undermining our personhood, leaving us feeling irrelevant? In the same way Jesus did—by not looking at self, but focusing on God. Jesus was fixated on pleasing His Father. You and I need to fixate on Jesus. Stop trying to prove your worth by doing! Think about this: in God’s economy, the opposite of something is NOT nothing. The opposite of something is everything. When you truly embrace the fact that you can do “nothing apart from Him,” you are really at rest. When Jesus fills you up, He becomes “everything” to you, and your life is anything but irrelevant.


One last thought: God does His best work when He begins with nothing!

1 comment:

  1. Greg,

    I read recently that when Jesus said "nothing is impossible with God" He had a truly unique perspective of knowing from experience that truth! So when He made that statement it was not merely an encouragement based on projection of God's infinite power, it was based on the Only Begotten Son's own unique observation and participation! I took courage from that!

    Concerning your final comment: I have reconsidered what is my favorite passage from Scripture. It used to be 2 Cor. 5:17; now it is Rev 21:5

    And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new! And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. KJV

    "New--from nothing!" I like His best work!

    ReplyDelete