Friday, March 5, 2010

Who Turned the Lights Out?

While preparing a sermon called “Who Turned the Lights Out?” for Berryessa Community Church last week, I received more light on this subject. May I enlighten you?

John describes Jesus as LIFE and LIGHT: “In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men”
(1 Jn. 1:4). New-age teachers often refer to a light within us, telling their disciples that the light is the good part of humanity. But the Bible is very clear; you have no light in you unless you have the life of Christ. Remember that Satan, who has no life, will appear as “an angel of light” (2 Co. 11:14).

But it is not enough that we have LIFE and LIGHT, we must actually ‘walk in the light’
(Eph. 5:8). When we are self-willed, we are walking in our light; we are walking in our own life. And since we really don’t have any light of our own, we are walking in darkness—Christ’s life is blocked and His light is not seen. The intensity of the light seen through you depends on the intensity of His life in you. Then as the Holy Spirit reveals (sheds light on) more truth of Christ in you, you experience more of Jesus’ life.

However, be forewarned! The author of Hebrews explains that after the believers had received more light, they experienced a conflict of sufferings
(Heb. 10:32). This week in his blog, David Wilkerson wrote: “Satan attacks us according to the measure of light we receive and walk in.” Satan will do all he can to put your lights out!

4 comments:

  1. I read this slowly and it was to me like sipping slowly on a caramel macchiatto (upside down), which is my favorite Starbucks coffee. Wow; very insightful. I'll be chewing on this blog this morning. Thank you, Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,

    When I was in my teens I was involved in a heavy regimen of weight-training (think: weight-LIFTING) I mostly had in mind how I would LOOK different to those around me. It was only an afterthought about how my increase in strength would make it easier to do physical tasks. But in that weight-TRAINING I began to understand that in order to develop "definition" there actually had to be a real muscular foundation to shape the muscles and appearance that I wanted. I aslo learned that there had to be a degree of
    "suffering" involved in the process if I had any genuine, intelligent expectations of accomplishing my goals of the "sculptured god" I was seeking to achieve. Hence, the "no pain--no gain" axiom.

    I'm getting the impression that the same principle at work in the "Light" and "Life" realm as well! To build muscle I had to exert myself and suffer the effects of breaking down the muscle tissue so it could replicate. To receive more light, the light I do have needs to be applied...against all forms of darkness both within and without. To gain the life more abundantly promised by Jesus I need to exert my life in the directions He has provided--there are more forms of death and dying in this world than I really care to ponder but I am designed by Him to duplicate His life in every venue I find myself.

    My flesh resists resistance. But I am not my flesh...I am a new creature "...created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stan
    Yes, we do have to walk in the light we have before He gives us more.... I don't know if there is a direct biblical basis for that? hmm.

    and to you Anau, I've never received such a nice compliment--my writing being compared to a caramel macchiato!! delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg,

    Perhaps the "direct, biblical basis" upon which "walking in the light we have before He gives us more..." is not so much from the text as it is based upon His Person. "Walking in the light" (to me) is strongly implying spending time in His Presence--after all, He is the Light Incarnate--and the fruit that in my life that comes as a result. Walking in Him--the Light-- will only bring greater revelation of Himself and all we are capable of receiving.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete