Friday, May 21, 2010

There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe

"There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe" is a popular nursery rhyme: “she had so many children she didn’t know what to do.” Well, Leonie Herrera, the founder, director, and ‘mother’ of The King’s Children’s Home in Belmopan, Belize is not old, and though her 6-bedroom house is a “tight fit,” she does know what to do with her 42 children. She knows what to do because she is a woman of faith!

Leonie began taking in children while she was still employed full time for the United Nations in Belize. But as more children were sent to her by the State’s child protective services, she quit her job and established The King’s Children’s Home. Today Leonie is making plans to move her children to a new home on several acres outside the city. The estimated cost? $700,000! That’s faith!


Jesus told His disciples “I chose you; I appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name”
(John 15:16). Leonie knows God chose her and appointed her to The King’s Children’s Home. And she knows what to do because she knows Jesus! She knows she can ask for whatever she needs—In Jesus’ name. When you know Jesus, you know what to ask for: because you love me, my Father will love you, and I will love you, and I will reveal myself to each one of you (Jn 14:21). Do you know Jesus that well? Do you have “$700,000 faith?”


To see a little of what Altha and I saw on our visit to The King's Children's Home, go to http://www.kingschildrenshome.org/ where you will be able to watch a video interview with Leonie and testimony by a young man who grew up in her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment