Friday, February 1, 2013

Words to Live By

“It is small; it is localized; we caught it early” are the words you want to hear from the surgeon who will be removing your tumor. (Praise God, we heard those words yesterday!) “We are praying for you; we love you; you have made a difference in our lives” are the words you want to hear from your friends when in crisis. With each note, each promise to pray, and each testimony to God’s faithfulness, I hear the Lord’s voice. “How delightful is a timely word” (Prov. 15:23).

But as comforting as those words are, it is THE WORD that anchor my soul in this time of trial—the Word of hope and promise, and faithfulness (Hebrews 6:19). From centuries past, the Psalmist declares, “… in faithfulness You have afflicted me. O may Your lovingkindness comfort me, according to Your word... may Your compassion come to me that I may live, For Your law is my delight” (Psalm 119:6-77).

In perplexing circumstances, Paul’s timely and timeless words come to mind: “Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works… and encouraging one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near” (Hebrews 10:24-25). These are words to live by.

3 comments:

  1. Greg,

    Once again you have shed light of the Word upon difficult circumstances that many of us find ourselves. But this time it is from an "up-close-and-personal" example of your own current trial.

    I took some moments to look up Charles Bridges comments on the Psalm 119:75-77 passage you referenced. Pure gold!

    Thanks Greg for your courageous posture as you walk through this crisis, fully confident in the One Who alone can promise and deliver "the Abundant Life."

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you stan. The Lord prepared me for this up-close and personal experience, in part from reading Bridge's book on Psalm 119. Thank you for telling me about this wonderful commentary.

    Bless you, brother,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, I so appreciate your transparency and candor as you fight this battle. May God bring his blessed healing to you even as you learn the wisdom of "wait in faith." --Chip M.

    ReplyDelete