Monday, August 12, 2013

Flying Home: What is my ETA?

When I learned I had pancreatic cancer in January, I received it as my ticket for a ‘flight home.’ On Friday, the Lord gave me an ETA, Estimated Time of Arrival.

In an earlier post, I said I would be getting a CT scan to see if I had cancer in my liver. Though I've learned I do not, I have now received a more precise prognosis from my oncologist. Because the surgery I had in February could not remove all the cancer in the margins around the tumor, and because I had 3 infected lymph nodes, I am told the return of this aggressive cancer is inevitable. While this prognosis is based on experience and statistics, I believe it is from the Lord who is graciously giving me and my family time to prepare.

And what is the ETA? Within 2-3 years. But please don't worry. Even though it appears final preparations have begun, I am not boarding yet. And there's plenty of runway ahead (Hebrews 12:1-3).  

5 comments:

  1. When you say "the Lord gave you an estimate on Friday", are you referring to the doctor's estimate or to a word you received from the Lord? Couldn't that be that like with Gedeon or even with Paul in 2 Corinthians 1:9 the Lord is making sure that humanly there is no possibility whatsoever but WITH HIM all things are possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia

    What I meant is that I believe the Lord spoke through the doctor. I have always said if the Lord can speak through a donkey, he can speak through anyone!! He has given us peace about this. Glorifying God can take many expressions. Paul said whether I am absent or present, my ambition is to please Him. So, too is mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg,

    Today’s blog is so profound. So many petitions and pleadings of healing and/or miracles could be made to God during this time; however, the most comforting of all is “Lord may your will be done in my life.” The constant prayer that Luis and I prayed during his sickness was “Lord not our will, but Your will be done”. It brought us so much peace and solace. It was not only a prayer, it was a belief within the inner most part of our being. We believed whatever the outcome; we were going to accept it and be okay. His will is perfect! May our Lord continue richly blessing you.

    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. The strength that the Lords gives us during these trying times are undeniably divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Agnes. The prayer "Thy will be done" is an attitude of resignation, in the right use of the word: we have no will of our own in a matter, but only to submit to His loving intentions for us. When we resign ourselves to His plans, we have perfect peace. Whether in life or death, God is glorified. Some who believe in divine healing (as I do), seem to be unable to see how God is glorified in the death of His children. But if we really are doing all for the glory of God, even our passing will bring glory to Him, because it will accomplish His purposes which are, by nature, outside of 'time.'

    ReplyDelete