Monday, August 2, 2010

Like Fruit Falling Off a Tree

Paul's reference to being rooted in Christ (Col. 2:7) is drawn from the metaphor of a tree (common throughout Scripture) but with apparent emphasis on roots and soil.

In the parable of the sower and the seed, Jesus spoke of four types of soil. Each soil received the same seed but not all bore fruit. Jesus explains that the soil is like your heart, and the seed is the word of God.
(Mark 4:33-34) The expectation of the sower is that the seed will go deep into the soil and bear fruit. Though the same seed is sown, only one type of soil permits the seed to bear fruit. Hard soil, like a hard heart, cannot receive the seed. Shallow soil, like a half-hearted person, does not allow the seed to go deep enough to germinate and bear fruit. Soil that has not been cleared of weeds and rocks, like a heart otherwise occupied, cannot nurture the seed and bear fruit. Only seed that is sown into good soil bears much fruit.

What is the significance of fruit bearing? First, Jesus said our Father is glorified when we bear much fruit
(John 15:8). Second, we were planted in Christ Jesus to bear fruit. Paul uses 'good works' synonymously with fruit. (Rom. 6:4; Eph. 2:10). In Colossians 2:7, Paul is telling us that if we sink our roots deep into Christ, we will not be able to stop the fruit from coming. The good works will come like fruit falling off a tree.

4 comments:

  1. There you go reading my mail again. Thank you. I was thinking of bearing fruit this morning as I've noticed that I've been spending a lot more time seeking relaxation and entertainment rather than fruit bearing.

    God speaks loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God's had me running over and over and over passage after passage about fruit and trees and harvesting and sowing. The promises of bearing more and more fruit by His Spirit in me alone is the joy of my life and my hope and peace. You're speakin' my language!! -Grant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved todays post. Great picture image for me. What a beautiful privilege to be his vessel and bear fruit for him. Wow. Like a mature tree. We will not be able to sop this good fruit from coming and there will be an abundance of it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to hit a theme that resonates with everyone. My primary concern is that people pay more attention to bearing fruit than getting rooted! That's why I loved the idea of fruit falling off a tree: it's effortless. The real work is the work of sinking yourself deep into Jesus.

    ReplyDelete