Friday, November 2, 2012

Moving Mountains

The writer of Psalm 73 was bothered that he was having so many troubles while the ungodly were enjoying an easy life. Feeling abandoned by God, he was ready to give up. It seemed like all of his diligence, obedience, prayers, and Bible reading were in vain—he was running out of patience.

We've all been there. At such times, it seems like there is a mountain between us and the place we want to be—and we just don’t have the strength to get over it. Jesus said, “If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible” (Matt. 17:20).

Jesus said our faith is like a seed, when planted in fertile soil, morphs into a plant or tree. He is saying that when we put even a little faith (that may be all we have!) into action, it will grow strong enough to empower us to move a mountain.

What is the mountain in your life? Loneliness, loss of a job, sickness, wounded relationship? Be encouraged. “Faith comes by hearing…the Word of God” (Ro. 10:17). And that Word will speak to your impossibilities. And nothing is impossible for God!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Dr. Greg,
    Thank you for the post.
    I confess that the largest mountain that needs moving in my life, is not external to me. They are not external. My big mountains that require big faith are internal. Those mountains are not just what I think, feel, and believe. The most significant mountain to move are the reins to the desires of my heart. The biggest mountain for me is the bended knee to my Lord and being truly willing that he would place His desires in my heart. I have found that when I do not have His desires in my heart, it is because I have not delighted in Him. Ps 37:4
    Thanks for the reminder!
    Godspeed!
    Larry Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reminding myself. Glad you benefitted too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,

    A personal mountain range that blocks my view of God is that of the image I have in my own mind of what I expect from a loving God. It often doesn't match His Own ways. There are many times in my life when I am made to be uncomfortable...in order to grow. That doesn't feel like it comes from a comfy, "loving," Poppa Who always is supposed to let me have my own way and indulges me often.

    'nuf said...

    Stan

    ReplyDelete