Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What Does the Cross Realize for God?

Like many others before me, when I first came into an understanding of what the cross had accomplished for me, I reveled in “my” new identity in Christ, a son of God. I delighted in the promise of “my” inheritance with all the saints in Christ. Focused on “my” transformation and what God had done for “me,” I inadvertently fell into the snare of self-orientation, focused more on what the cross had done “for me” than for God!

While this euphoric boon to my self-image and self-esteem may be a normal first step, we must be careful not to remain in that initial phase, especially considering the post-modern trend toward what-I-call the “psychologizing” of the gospel—whose therapeutic goal is self-actualization. We should be thus cautioned that we are not more concerned for ourselves than for God’s purposes.
So the question is: what does the cross mean for God?
In Romans 6, Paul states repeatedly that we are dead to sin and alive “unto” God. Let us pay attention to the word “unto.” As natural persons, we lived “unto” ourselves, our own interests. As born again, we now live “unto” God, His interests and purposes.

What the cross realizes for God is this: God separates man from his old center in order to bring him unto Himself and His purposes. We are now at His disposal to do His will and work. The very moment we become alive “unto” God, the door has opened for God to accomplish His work in us and through us.

“For none of us lives for himself, and no one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s…and He died for all that they who live should not longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf” (Romans 14:7-8; 2 Corinthians 5:15).

3 comments:

  1. Greg,

    The entry you wrote today is one of the best yet to date! What a wonderful thought that frees an individual to recognize they are now living unto God and His "ultimate intention" (does that sound familiar?) rather than unto my own limited purposes!

    "Please, sir: can I have some more?"

    Stan (aka Oliver)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I experience the greatest sense of freedom and joy when I walk with the mindset and heart motivation you've described. In fact, I can usually trace my lack of joy back to a place where I re-empowered my soul to be boss, and yet again became a slave to my flesh's motivations or desires. Living in a self-focused place is rather depressing, and not at all fulfilling. It is a rather deep dark hole that sucks you in futher and further the more you entertain it.

    I heard a gentleman say once (and I know it's a rather pentecostle statement but it's true) that "If you want to get good and demonized, get self-focused." It's like poop to the flies. It attracts the realm of darkness.

    Any time I ever felt down or depressed, serving others (and serving the Lord's purpose), got my mind off of myself and it pulled me right up!

    What a great reminder for us all Dr. Greg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for the encouraging and insightful feedback...

    I have drawn my inspiration from "Ultimate Intention" by DeVerne Fromke. He always lifts me higher, taking me out of time and space.

    Instead of the phrase "keep looking up," he says we should "keep looking down," meaning that we should view all things from our position in the heavenlies.

    ReplyDelete