Thursday, March 5, 2009

What is the Most Important Word in the Bible?

Yesterday, I wrote that I awake every morning with expectation that I will learn some new thing about God. There is something else I do every day, or at least I try to: I listen! Do you ever have a problem being quiet enough in your quiet time with the Lord? There are too many thoughts (voices) in your head. But you have to get quiet in order to hear Him, don’t you!

That brings me to this curious question: What is the most important word in the Bible?


LISTEN!

From the beginning of time, God has been trying to get His children to listen to Him! God attributes Adam’s fall to a listening problem—“because you listened to the voice of your wife,” who by the way had been listening to the Serpent!

And in the Old Testament, God warns the Jewish people: “[you] have not listened to My words, declares the LORD, which I sent to [you] again and again by My servants the prophets; but you did not listen” (Jeremiah 29:19); ”you sinned against the LORD and did not listen to His voice” (Jeremiah 40:3).
In the New Testament, Jesus repeatedly says, “He who has an ear to hear, let Him hear.” Jesus employs this phrase again in His letters to the seven churches in the book of Revelation.

Jesus said my sheep hear my voice. Mind you, He did not say my ‘lambs’ hear my voice, but my sheep! Mature Christians who know the Scriptures and walk in obedience are able to discern the Lord’s voice. Let me ask you (and me) this question? When you read God’s Word every day, do you expect Him to speak? Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment