Friday, January 1, 2010

What Are You Resolving to Do This Year?

While most of us wouldn’t admit we might be making New Year’s resolutions, I doubt there are many of us who are not thinking today of some things in our life we want to change this next year. Given that, I want to share three resolutions from Scripture.

1) Paul’s resolution: “For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified”
(2 Cor. 2:2).
2) David’s resolution: “Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.” (Psalm 17:3)
3) Daniel’s resolution: “But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.” (Daniel 1:8)

The resolve to change is within the heart of each of us. But the capacity to change resides souly within the heart of those who become Christians [because they] become new persons. They are not the same anymore, for the old life is gone. A new life has begun! (2 Cor. 5:17, NLT). Ray Stedman says: We think that we have to change the way we act in order to be different; God says, No, I have made you different, and when you believe it you will automatically change the way you act.” (from his book Guilt to Glory)

No comments:

Post a Comment