Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Crossing Over

In my last blog post, I referred to the story of the disciples leaving the safety of the shore, crossing the lake (at Jesus’ behest) and encountering a life-threatening storm. The point of my writ was that leaving one’s safety zone is, well, risky. Little did I know I would be, in fact, faced with a life-threatening storm on our way to Belize.

Tropical Storm Alex took an unexpected turn on Saturday—the day of our flight. Just minutes from the Belize Airport, the pilot came on the overhead speakers and announced that we could not land due to the heavy rain. He said an earlier American Airline plane that day had been diverted to Cancun. Now as much as I might like Cancun, I knew that was not our destination (destiny). The Lord told the disciples they were crossing the lake on way to Galilee (he told us Belize!). The storm was a test. Would they (we) believe Him if He said they (we) were going to reach the other side: their destination?

Well, I did. Did I have a moment of doubt (as in, why did we get on this plane)? Yes, and then I recalled my own words: you cannot know His protection, presence, and power if you don’t encounter storms. When the Lord says you are going to the other side. Don’t let a little (or big) storm distract you. He is with you. He will get you to the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment