Monday, July 12, 2010

Do We Really 'Get' Him?

Last week I began taking a Spanish course. I am highly motivated because I am tired of not being able to communicate with the Spanish speaking people of Belize. More importantly, I want to understand them: I want them to know I really “get” them!

How do you think Jesus felt when the Disciples and His friends failed, repeatedly, to understand Him? And who could forget Martha? Even though she believed Jesus was the Messiah, she failed to understand the depth of His authority and power, saying, (when Jesus told her ‘your brother shall rise again’),"Oh, yes, on resurrection day he will arise but what good is that now?!" (John 11:24, slightly paraphrased by me) In his humanity, it must have troubled Christ to have his closest friends fail to "get" Him. "Don't you know who I am yet?" the Lord seemed to say. "I not only have life: I am life; I am the resurrection" (John 11:25).

Matthew tells about Jesus’ encounter with a Roman Centurion who asked Jesus to heal his son—saying “I am a man of authority, so I know you too have authority and you have the power to do it” (Matt. 8:9-10). How fascinating! Jesus was delighted to find someone who believed Him, who "got" Him. I think it brings great joy to our Lord when we demonstrate by our actions that we really do "get" Him.


For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. Colossians 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment