Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sparrows?

When you are in a public place surrounded by thousands of persons, aren’t you awestruck that God is thinking about and paying attention to every person there? And then you realize there are 6 ½ billion people in the world, not to mention the billions who have ever lived—and you are blown away.

Jesus said, “Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's consent”
(Matthew 10:29). Sparrows are among the least important creatures on earth. Thus the image of God’s attention to a sparrow is pretty astonishing.

In the banality of our daily routines, it is pretty easy to forget God’s steady presence. And we find ourselves living as though God is not paying any attention. When I was in Belize, I had such a strong sense of having been “sent” there that every moment had meaning to it. I knew God was Present and involved—with great attention to detail. Now, at home, back to my routine, I find I am less so.

“Many, O LORD my God, are...Your thoughts toward us. There is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, they would be too numerous to count”
(Psalm 40:5). In other words, God is always thinking about me! Maybe someone besides me needs to be reminded of this today.

4 comments:

  1. Greg,

    Perhaps of special significance is the fact that if two sparrows are sold for a penny, one of them has been thrown in for free. Wow! That could make the free sparrow feel pretty insignificant in the economy of things, don't you think? Yet our heavenly Father does not let the "free" one escape His notice, either!

    There are days when we may find ourselves identifying with the free sparrow. We may have a nagging sense of our insignificance in the scheme of things as touching our immediate environment. Yet in spite of our lack of apparent comparable value to our neighbor our life is still as precious and significant to the One Who determines its final value!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this reminder! I needed to hear this today!

    -David S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to hear this! Thank you, Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I needed to hear it too!

    Thanks, Stan, as always, for your insights.

    ReplyDelete