Thursday, January 19, 2012

This is my cross to bear and I'm not happy about it!

“This is my cross to bear” is a statement you won't find in the Bible. It refers to a nagging, unrelenting, undesirable circumstance in your life.  Since the expression is often heard by even non-believers, I feel compelled to clarify the difference between this is my cross to bear and taking up my cross.
Having a “cross to bear” implies a burden we didn’t choose.  And the point that it is unbearable makes it unbiblical. Why? Jesus said the opposite: “Come unto me all you are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest; my yoke is easy and my burden is light (Matt. 11:28).”  Therefore, if Jesus' yoke feels burdensome, you are probably trying to carry it in your own strength, or you are carrying something God doesn't want you to carry.
How do you know if it is one, or both, of the above? You know something's wrong when you carry it in bitterness, anger, or resentment; when you complain to God and everyone around you so they know how much you’re suffering; when you expect, self-righteously, to be rewarded one day for your pain.
Taking up our cross means we do so of our own free will, without complaining, or expecting a reward. Rather, we take up our cross because Jesus did, and we "rejoice in our sufferings that we may know Him and be conformed to His death” (Col. 1:24; Phil. 3:10).  We must distinguish ourselves from those who consider hardships to be "unbearable" because we have learned to come to Jesus with our burdens (Mark 8:34; Heb. 12:3). [Tomorrow: "What is my cross?"]

No comments:

Post a Comment