Thursday, May 24, 2012

Feeling God’s Pleasure

If you’ve seen the film Chariots of Fire, you know that Eric Liddell was the Scottish missionary who won a gold medal in the 1924 Olympics. But for Eric, running wasn't about winning competitions. It was how he connected to God. “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.”

It seems to me that “feeling God’s pleasure” is the end product of “pleasing God” (Eph. 5:8: 1 Thess. 4:1). But we can inadvertently put so much emphasis on ‘doing’ things to please Him we miss out on the joy that Eric had discovered. Certainly Jesus wants us to be “doers of the Word” (James 1:22). But motivated by love, and to know the same love with which God loved Him (John 17:26). 

Twice, our Heavenly Father was so moved with love for Jesus that He broke through the heavens, speaking right out of eternity, “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.”  Just think how different our lives would be if we could live continually knowing, and yes, even feeling, God’s pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment