Monday, July 9, 2012

Internet Addiction Disorder

I recently de-activated my Facebook account after four years of marginal use and utmost irritation. I have to say I would categorize the majority of stuff posted on my wall as narcissistic! (If self-promotion is not one of the seven deadly sins, it should be!)

For the last few years, members of the American Psychiatric Association have argued whether to designate “Internet Addiction” a mental disorder. A new study suggests that social networking services such as Facebook and Twitter are more difficult to resist than cigarettes or alcohol.

The same study reveals that nearly forty percent of Facebook users admitted to online arrogance, defined as making themselves look good to others. Or, they admit posting something that would make others jealous. Yes, I understand that Facebook can keep us connected and is used in positive ways. But if  we're not mindful, it will lead us down the path of gossip, jealousy, obsession, and procrastination, keeping us from making the best use of our time (Eph 5:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment