Thursday, September 20, 2012

Return to Me

Have you been on an unfamiliar freeway, missed your turn-off, and had to go 3 miles before exiting and returning? It might have made your trip easier if it were like Disneyland’s Autopia where cars travel on a guide track that doesn’t allow any wrong turns!  After writing yesterday’s post on the divine prohibition against making “right or left turns,” I wanted to make sure you know about God's 'return policy.'

God is not about prohibitions and heartless commandments. His path is meant for our good, immediately and ultimately. It gives Him pleasure when we choose His straight path. But the highway to holiness doesn’t have guide rails. We have choices. In the Bible, ‘turning to the right or to the left’ always implies man’s unfaithfulness (Deut. 2:27; 5:32; Josh. 1:7; 1 Kings 22:2). But don’t worry; God waits for us to ‘straighten up’ before He graciously steps in to ‘straighten us out!’

“The Lord waits for you to come to Him so He can show you His love and compassion. He will be gracious if you ask for help. He will surely respond to the sound of your cries. So whenever you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a word behind you, ‘This is the [straight] way, walk in it. Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved’” (Is. 30:18, 21, 15, edited). Like the prodigal’s loving father, He patiently waits for us to come back.  He has a very generous return policy!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Greg,
    Good follow up post to yesterday's post.
    Though we may have experienced a grumpy, or emotionally removed father in our family experience, neither of these are accurate descriptions of our heavenly father. We need to calibrate our perspective of God from what the bible declares of Him. And it declares that it is His kindness that leads us to repentance. It is not the sentimental kindness that hands money to an alcholic homeless person. It is the type of kindness that is useful (hands a bottle of water or a sandwich to a homeless person).
    Since it is His kindness that causes us to repent, then I need to have the perspective that says, "I get to repent," not "I have to repent." Because repenting is the best I can think, say, do to enhance my life. The abundant life is God in every moment (not a car in every garage and a chicken in every pot).
    Godspeed! Larry Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Larry. I'm not sure I've reached the point of saying "I get to repent." But I am moving in the direction of being motivated by His love, as Paul says the "love of Christ constrains me."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have found that when I do not want to repent, it has the underlying cause that I do not believe in God's goodness and love for me. It could be an issue of pride (I know better what is good for me, and the sinning is immediately more pleasurable), or the snare of gratification of fleshly lusts (without the consideration of consequences, including the most deleterious one: inability to see God), or wanting what I inherently know and feel is not good for me (feeling more alive and human as I feast on my depression and disconnectedness).
    With regards to faith in the comprehensive love of God for me, my simple prayer is,"I believe Lord. Help me in my unbelief."
    Godspeed! Larry Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg (and Larry,

    Canon Girdlestone, in his wonderful book "Synonyms of the Old Testament," informs us that there are four Hebrew words translated into our English versions of the Bible as "repent." Of these four the one the Scriptures use most often is a word which literally means "to draw a deep breath" as when one does when they are startled.

    Thank you, Larry, for defining an all to familiar dynamic of sin's seductive attraction. In addtion, for me personally, I know when I have strayed from my intimacy with God by the fact that my sinful acts or thoughts or words fail to startle me. In those cases I have allowed the allure of sin to inoculate my heart so that it progressively accepts the presence of compromise in my response to temptation. This, in turn, starts to change my expectation from one of expecting the Holy Spirit within to respond in recoil to sin's loitering to one of my own response of passively ignoring and then accepting the peripheral specter of sin around me, and then resigning to the false inevitability that as a human I should actually expect to sin sometimes...so why fight it?

    The condemnation I feel for having been duped (again) is then projected upon God in my deceived state of heart and mind so I back away from fellowship with Him because I feel He is angry and has no reason or patience to spend time with me after what I have done. Then the fight ensues between the Spirit's bringing to my recollection the Truth of God's generous "return policy" so ably stated by Greg. God recognizes immediately my erroneous thinking right at the outset of this whole process. But then I have to do the same and see sin for what the thing that it is. When I finally get there I discover (again) His faithfulness to receive my cry of repentance supercedes my faithfulness to listen to lies. Of this I am eternally grateful.

    I guess you might say that after I am "startled" and draw that initial deep breath I need to "exhale" when I see the remedy for my sinful ways is, and has always been, found in the Person and Work of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

    Whew!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete