Friday, June 28, 2013

Did Peter's Net Break?

I’ve not written much this month because Altha and I have been busy moving in to our new home in San Jose, and doing the many things necessary to get settled. And of course these many things were not accomplished without a certain amount of stress.  My days have been full.

The other day I was thinking about the time (right after Peter’s denial) that he and the Disciples went fishing. After a night of catching nothing, a stranger shouted from the shore to cast their net on the other side of the boat; and immediately the net was filled—you might say, to the breaking point. (Did it break?) That’s when Peter knew the ‘stranger’ was Jesus.  It seems this event was perfectly timed to remind Peter of what Jesus had promised 3 years earlier: a “full-net” fishers-of-men ministry.

Even so, I knew that when I joined my Father’s “fishing” business, I could expect a full net (Col. 2:10).  But honestly, there have been times in the last few months when I thought it would break. But I also know He will never give more than I can hold (1 Cor. 10:13); He won't break me (Is. 42:3). That's why I can answer my own question, No, Peter's net did not break that day (and neither will yours or mine).

2 comments:

  1. Greg,

    I wonder how much the net s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d?

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. and of that one can be sure... "Thy will be done" is always a stretching experience.

    ReplyDelete