Thursday, July 25, 2013

One Day at a Time

A few years ago, I started closing my emails and letters with the phrase “Looking Forward.” Although I am aware the statement appears unremarkable, as in “Looking forward to seeing you,” my intention is deliberate. My meaning is, “I am looking forward—not backward. The ambiguity of my ‘closing’ is there by design—hidden inside an otherwise innocuous statement.

I never imagined how significant this statement of faith was to become.  Since February when I had surgery for pancreatic cancer, I have tried to get back to normal. But I know I must rather embrace a more forward-looking view, a new normal that includes the uncertainty of cancer’s return. Without looking back, and not knowing what lies ahead, I must live one day at a time. 
 
Today I read a cancer survivor newsletter that said, “Don't look back, but remember what makes you happy [each day].” What makes me ‘happy’ is pleasing my Father by living one day at a time. Is it working? Not quite, but like Paul, “I [continue to] focus on this one thing: forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead [one day at a time]” (Philip 3:13 NLT).

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what details my future may hold...but I do know Who holds my future in His hands...because I choose to trust Him with it. That has been the theme of my life since an event changed my course in 2000. Every day has not been like I dreamed it would be, but every day has been spent in His Presence--like I know yours has too. When we look at Paul's life, I think we can know that the big picture is what matters...and we must keep that in our focus as we endure the details of the difficult days--weeks--months--years--decades. "Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand...but I know Who holds my future...and I know Who holds my hand!" (singing!) Blessings and strength upon you, my friend! RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Roxanne. Like our father Abraham, "We may not know where we are going, but we knew Who we are going with."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen phil 3:13 is key!

    ReplyDelete