Monday, September 23, 2013

24-Hour Fitness

“24-Hour Fitness” is the name of a chain of fitness clubs. It is also a ‘fitting’ description of the Holy Spirit’s work in us. Jesus said, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is ‘fit’ for the kingdom of God” (Luke 9:62).  The Holy Spirit makes us ‘fit’ by stretching us, like leather, like new wineskins” (Matt. 9:17).

Speaking of "fit," having lost 25 pounds since last Fall, I have few clothes that do. And since we were going to attend my niece’s wedding, I had to go shopping for something to ‘fit’ me, but would also would be ‘fit’ for a wedding. Now speaking analogously, this last year has been a real stretch for me.  But hopefully, it has made me more ‘fit’ for God’s work, and better ‘fitted’ for the Spirit's infilling.

Paul practiced 24-hour fitness, always straining and stretching toward what lies ahead” (Phil. 3:13). He also acknowledged that fitting and stretching, though painful, was necessary (Heb. 12:11) in order that someday we all will be properly 'fit' together in Christ (Eph. 4:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment