Monday, September 2, 2013

How do you Rest on “Labor-Day?”

There is a time to stop working, and rest.  We love our days off.  But Jesus speaks of a different “work” and a different “rest.”  The work from which we need permanent rest is that of self-reliance, self-promotion, self-protection—is  this not the work that wears us out? This is the “work” that Jesus spoke of when He said, “Come unto Me all you who are weary and heavy-burdened, and you will find rest…come and learn [how to rest] from Me… for My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matt. 11:29-30).

One of the meanings of a yoke is a harness you put on an ox to make its work easier and more effective.  When we are yoked with Jesus, our “work” is not only bearable, but pleasant.  I have learned when my work feels too hard, it is because I am not properly yoked with Jesus, not relying on Him, but on my intellect, my ideas and methods: my "self." I think Labor Day is a good day to examine ourselves, and ask, “Are we are finding God’s rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment