Thursday, March 13, 2014

Is Anyone Listening?

This is a season of my life when I feel a heightened need to hear the Lord. I am not only listening for personal direction, but also to discern the timesunderstanding how our culture is affecting us and our faith.

Jesus said, “My sheep listen [pay attention] to my voice; they follow me” (John 10:27). The writer of Hebrews says, “We must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it” (2:1). Is this not a significant ‘word’ for our times, when society is rejecting Judeo-Christian values, and droves of Christians are drifting from belief in Scripture's inerrancy?

This theological drift is not new. To a rebellious Israel, God says, “Stand by the old paths [the Scriptures], where the good way is, and walk in it… but they said, ‘We will not walk in it’” (Jer. 6:16). And through Isaiah, God laments, “I called, but no one answered; I spoke, but they did not listen” (66:4). Can’t you almost see God in His throne room, asking the question: “Is anyone listening?”

No comments:

Post a Comment