Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Receiving God's Assignments

When I was able to retire from my government job last year, I was excited that I would now have the freedom to do the things I wanted to do. No longer conscripted into some supervisor’s arbitrary assignments, I would set my own schedule, be master of my own time.

Not long into my retirement, however, I realized how foolish my idealized version of “life after employment” was. I soon found myself constrained by circumstances that prevented me from doing what I wanted to do. At first, I was resentful. I was in the middle of writing a book. Surely, it could not be God’s plan to allow circumstances into my life that would interrupt my work for Him. I resisted; and I even refused to give up my right to my freedom. It was mine. I had earned it. I was entitled to it. But gradually, as Holy Spirit broke me of this self-centered vision of my life, I realized these allegedly constraining circumstances were there by God’s design, accomplishing God’s purposes. In fact, they were God’s assignments.

I have learned, and am learning, that God constrains us (prevents us from carrying out our plans!) in order to produce something greater—His Plan! Jesus called this ‘pruning.’ The vinedresser prunes the branch so it may bear more fruit. Unfortunately, we are prone to see this pruning as constraining. But God’s work requires these constraints if we are to mature. And His assignments are anything but arbitrary. They are purposeful. Every assignment is preparation for greater blessing and opportunity, for time and eternity.

(If you want to make God laugh, tell him about YOUR plans!)

No comments:

Post a Comment