Monday, April 6, 2009

Why do Cats Purr? And Why do People Eat Chocolate Chip Cookies?

We have a male cat named Asher (which means “happy”). And he is. He purrs more than any cat I’ve ever known. Since I am as curious as a cat, I did an internet search to find out what makes a cat purr. This is what I found. Most of the cat experts think a cat purrs as a way of self-soothing or self-comforting.

I realize people do that too! Purr!? Well, no, but they do SELF-COMFORT!

When you and I are stressed, whether it is the pressures of everyday life or we are in some difficulty, or are suffering in some way, we long for comfort. When I am in a stressful circumstance, I am tempted to eat more—and not just anything; I desire sugar and chocolate. Put those two together and what do you get? Chocolate chip cookies! This is my “comfort food.” And when my life is especially chaotic (out of my control!), I long for my routine. I find my routine to be very comforting. Don’t you!? I like it when things are predictable, when things are safe.

The last few weeks of my life have been anything but predictable. My father was admitted to the hospital after throwing up blood. Over a period of two weeks of tests, waiting for results, followed by more testing and waiting, the diagnosis was given: he has cancer. The outcome (prognosis) is currently not as clear as we might like. So there will most likely be many more unpredictable days ahead.

In light of this, I know how silly it sounds for me to say I am tempted toward comfort food and routine, but in fact this is exactly how I want to respond. I want to eat chocolate chip cookies while sitting in my recliner in front of a mindless TV program. But for me that is regressing. And God loves me to much to allow me to regress. God is taking me higher. In this ‘trial’ I have found God (indwelling Holy Spirit) to be so much more comforting than I ever known before. I am knowing him as Comforter. Whenever we are suffering, God is Ever Present to us in comfort. The antidote to suffering is not ‘natural’ comfort (we call them creaturely comforts). It is spiritual comfort. It is the Presence of God in the midst of the trial. As Moses enters the Wilderness (the place of testing), God says to him: “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you Rest.”


Listen to the words of Paul as he explains this principle of ‘trial and comfort’, of ‘suffering and comfort’.


"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ” (2 Corinthians 1:3-5).

When you are in a difficult situation, you will be tempted to self-comfort. While eating chocolate chip cookies may not appear particularly sinful, you will be falling short of the greater thing the "God of all Comfort" wants to teach you. Let Him be your comforter!

4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you mean when you want to feel comforted. I have a similar response, but I rather prefer mint chip ice cream. :) But point being, I can tell when I am regressing, or ascending (as you mentioned) and it is quite a struggle to get the flesh out of it's self-preserving mode, and walk in the spirit in those times. BUT, in the end, when I make the right choice to walk in the spirit, and persue God, it's like being on an elevator, I just keep going up!

    "26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." -1 Corinthians 9:26-27

    I love this bit where Paul describes disciplining his body and bringing it into subjection. If I, and I'll make the assumption that most Christians could grow in this area at least a little...had more discipline, and brought our bodies (and fleshly desires) into subjection (food, tv, and sinful desires), we would quickly take this world for the cause of Christ (or hasten the Lord's return)! I am most disappointed that the world rarely knows a Christian by their lifestyle and character, and instead know them only by their claim that they indeed really are a Christian.

    Well, instead of ranting anymore on your blog, I appreciate you Greg! Thank you for the stirring "blogversation". Ha! I just coined a new term! Hehehe...

    I am praying for you and your family!

    -David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Greg!

    It's in trusting God that we find comfort. I have heard it expressed that "doubt is the soil in which fear grows."

    When we doubt God, we fail to trust him.

    I have been working on couple aspects:

    1) Trusting God to be as he said he would be:
    * Attentive
    * Compassionate
    * Merciful
    * Unchanging
    * Loving
    * Able

    2) Trusting God that he will do the things for for me as he said he would:
    * Help
    * Strength
    * Protection
    * Comfort
    * Peace

    Some of these are easier for than others. Verses that come to mind:
    Philippians 4:6-7
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    Deuteronomy 31:6

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great post Greg. We're thinking of, and praying for you in this time.

    Stephan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really loving your writings. I am also sorry to hear about your Dad. My prayers go out to ya'll. Keep up the awesome work

    ReplyDelete