Thursday, September 3, 2009

There Are No Shortcuts on the Freeway to Faith, but Lots of Wrong Exits

I was caravanning with my son-in-law last week, following behind him when he abruptly exited the crowded freeway and took a shortcut. His “shortcut” caused us to reach our destination ten minutes later than if we had stayed on the freeway. I understood his impatience: we were in a hurry! Besides, I have done the same thing myself many times! As a young man, I too was always looking for shortcuts. But that youthful enthusiasm was transferred to my spiritual jouney. And as a young believer, I thought I could shortcut the road to mature faith.

Mature faith is developed by patience. That's how it was with Abraham, wasn't it? Already an old man when God called him, God still made him wait another twenty-five years for the promised son. With the passage of time, God tests our faith and builds our character: faith matures.

I have become used to seeing impatience in the young men I mentor. Isn’t that how Satan tried to tempt the young Jesus? Promising Jesus all of the kingdoms of the earth if He would bow down and worship him, Satan was offering Jesus a quicker way to the things He had been promised. It is still Satan’s strategy: persuading us we can shortcut the process.

The Scriptures are full of exhortations to wait on God, but not one that tells us to hurry. People in a hurry risk taking a wrong exit off the freeway of faith, looking for a shortcut to success! “Patience…is what you need now, so you will continue to do God's will. Then you will receive all that He has promised.”
(Heb. 10:36 NLT)

3 comments:

  1. Greg,

    It is not an uncommon thing for us to admire those who have found the favor of God in their ministry and desire to duplicate their results...but not to pay the price they paid to get there! The price included a big chunk of their time and energies in processing God's directions. It included trial and error; it also included times of frustration with the duration of many of the processes themselves! I read a pamphlet recently that pointed out all of the fruit of the Spirit is developed by resistance! None of it is automatic. There are sequences that God uses to develop the sweetest fruit.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Greg! I also like Stan's comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell when a teacher/preacher has been through many trials of faith. There is a sweetness and grace that results from time-tested obedience. And the time to develope in him/her the heart of God. It is pure, simple, and distinguishable from one's personality.

    ReplyDelete