Monday, September 28, 2009

Why is Everyone Telling Us to “Wash Our Hands”?

When I was a child, my mother reminded me to wash my hands before coming to dinner. Now, with the onslaught of swine flu, even the President of the United States is telling me to wash my hands.

After David had sinned, he entreated God to “wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.”
(Ps. 51:7) Have you ever prayed that way? Be careful what you ask for. If you think David was asking for the gentle waters of a whirlpool, you’re wrong. The word ‘wash’ is not the word for bathing one’s body, but for washing one’s clothes. And in those days, as it still is today in the developing world, washing clothes was done by hand in the local river where clothes are beaten against the rocks to “separate” the dirt from the fabric. Our modern washing machines simulate this violent action on our garments.

Technically, we don't need to pray as David did because Jesus has pronounced us clean
(Jn. 13:10; 15:3). But even though we have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus, our hearts can still get soiled by uncrucified flesh. So how can we keep our hearts clean? By washing with the water of the Word (Eph. 5:26). Though we find God's Word comforting, like the gentle action of a “rinse cycle,” at other times, the cleansing is more aggressive. Then the Word becomes like a sword that cuts deep into the fabric of our soul, separating the filthy flesh and purifying our spirit. (Heb. 4:12) But even then, it is done by Jesus with the tenderness of the groom washing His Bride that He might present her in all her glory, without spot or wrinkle. (Eph. 5:27)

When Jesus washed the disciples feet, He said “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean.”
(Jn. 13:10). When we were born again, we were cleansed by His blood, separated from the penalty and power of sin. But until we are completely separated from the presence of sin in this world, our hearts— “feet”—are going to get dirty. We will need to wash them in the Word every day. (1 Jn. 1:9) And don’t be surprised if every once in awhile God gives them a more thorough cleansing! I don’t think David was expecting the “gentle wash cycle.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I constantly ask that very same question; how can my heart stay clean? This morning's blog brings a lot of clarity. Timely! I am encouraged.

    ReplyDelete