Friday, October 12, 2012

Do Pastors ever Get the Monday Morning Blues?

Sunday is a week-END for pastors. On Sunday, the pastor goes into high gear, sparking a surge of adrenaline—he’s on duty, on stage, on call; and everybody wants something from him. When the demanding day is over, the adrenaline subsides, and he or she may be tempted to Post-Adrenalin Depression (PAD), also known as ‘Monday morning blues.’ PAD can also result in Monday morning doubt: “Was my sermon clear?” “Did I really help anybody?”

Would it surprise you to know that your Spirit-filled pastor may have an emotional descent on Monday morning? It’s a normal physical phenomenon. Everyone must learn how to pace himself (finding God’s pace, and grace) to make sure he’s being led by the Spirit (Ro 8:14), not driven by adrenaline.  I know this because I was a pastor, and I am a friend of many pastors!

October 14th is Pastors’ Appreciation Day. You could write if off as just another Hallmark holiday. Or, you could send a note to your pastor to thank him for his service. And you might even give him some positive feedback! “Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work” (1 Thess. 5:13).  Send your pastor this post and let him know you'll be praying for him—especially on Mondays.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning,
    Having done some in fill-in pulpit duty, as well as been on the receiving end, I would like to add my two cents.
    The sermon / service is likely the pastor's most public moment. It represents his greatest chance at being the conduit for God to affect the congregation towards what God wants of them as a community and as individuals. But the danger is that it also represents his greatest "performance moment," when he can all too easily be judged on his performance (styly, humor, delivery, polish, etc.).
    It has been my experience that if too many congregants say, "good job," and that is all they say, I confess that I am bending my ear straining to hear that after I am done preaching, seeking the praise of others. But that kind of praise leaves me empty.
    I am the most encouraged when someone says, "God used you to speak to me about XYZ. With God's help, this is what I expect to change in my belief, thoughts, actions, or words. Thank you for being God's person at the right time." When someone says something like that to me, I feel like I was faithful to God, and that God used that faithfulness. That is incredibly encouraging to me.
    The heart of encouragement is to place courage in someone. And the courage required is to be the person that God wants them to be. To say yes to God and no to everything else requires courage. That is the best way to encourage the pastor; help him be the person God wants him to be (prophet of the word, pastor of the flock).
    If someone encourages a pastor in this way: God used the pastor, with a specific point about what God did through the pastor, the pastor will walk away extremely gratified and greatly encouraged.
    Dr. Greg: Thanks for being an encouragement to me every day. God uses your posts to stimulate me to think more deeply about my faith, my relationship to Him, and how I communicate that to the world of people He has entrusted to me. Though I know it is not easy crafting the posts you do, as thoughtfully and creatively as you do. But they are making a difference in my walk with God in His world. Thank you for being that voice.
    Godspeed!
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Larry. You cannot imagine how grateful I am for your encouragement. And I am so very grateful for addition to my blog through great, insightful comments and feedback.

    Blessings to you,

    Greg

    ReplyDelete