Wednesday, October 3, 2012

You may be Sitting Next to a Universalist Next Sunday

“You are good enough. You contain within you all that is necessary to love and grow deep and to heal your own wounds and the wounds of the world.” This is the first principal of Unitarian Universalism. And according to an article in yesterday's USA Today, Unitarian Universalism is on the rise.

Instead of a common theology, Unitarian Universalists (UU's) have a set of common values. Anthony David of the UU Congregation of Atlanta, says Unitarians would rather be kind than right. The growth of UU coincides with growing concerns among Evangelicals about universalism, intensifying into doctrinal warfare 2 years ago after the publication of Rob Bell’s Love Wins: A Book about Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived. 

Christian Universalism (an oxymoron) is a school of theology espousing universal reconciliation, the view that all fallen creatures will ultimately be restored to right relationship with God in Heaven. While you might think we can dismiss this heresy as out of sync with mainstream Christian thought, think again. According to a Barna survey, 25% of born-again Christians hold these views. Given those odds, chances are 1-in-4 you may be sitting next to a universalist in church next Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Dr. Greg,
    Good post. Disturbing statistics!
    At issue is, are we willing to deal with God on His terms, or do we insist on dealing with God on our terms. This is like saying, "I'll deal with gravity on my terms. When I do not want it to be as real or as powerful, I will just wish it away." Disagreeing with the laws of physics does not change the consequences. The gound is just as hard, and hurts just as much, whether I believe or don't believe in gravity before I fall.
    The nature of God (Holy, Righteous, Loving, Just) determines the conditions of fellowship with Him. Not our nature, not our wishes, not our reasonable ideas. Because we are not God.
    If I believe in a God that is somewhat different than what the bible describes, then I am believing in something that I have created. Am I willing to put my soul for all of eternity on my idea of what my belief about what God will do (when that belief may contradict what God has declared about Himself in the bible)?
    Having been wrong about many things in the past, I am not willing to take that risk. I am trusting that what God has declared about Himself is true. At least I can say, "But you said..." rather than, "But I thought..." What if the response is, "well, you thought wrong!"
    Godspeed! Larry Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. What comes to mind is the verse in Isaiah where God says "You thought I was just like a man." And then HE goes on to say, "My thoughts are higher than your thoughts!"

    ReplyDelete