Monday, October 19, 2009

To His Credit, David Letterman Didn’t Play the Blame Game!

Unlike many celebrities & politicians who are quick to deny, David Letterman admitted his indiscretions (after being ‘outed!) without excusing himself or blaming anyone!

Ever since Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent, men and women have been trying to avoid taking responsibility for their misbehavior. In fact, in today’s litigious-happy culture, we make heroes out of blame-shifters: life-long smokers dying with lung cancer are suing tobacco companies, and obese consumers of fast foods are suing McDonald’s and KFC.

Even in the evangelical church, “it’s-not-my-fault” prevails. A well-known pastor, who committed adultery and was removed from his church, has been on the Oprah show twice offering explanations for his behavior. Please Note: ‘I sinned BECAUSE’ is only a half-confession because it is a half-blame.

In contrast, Jim Bakker (of PTL) who was convicted of fraud and subsequently exonerated, wrote his book “I was Wrong” confessing his sins, incorrect teachings, and pride, all things no Court of Law—only God—had convicted him of! Though many believed the false accusations he was accused of (and then his wife divorced him and married his best friend!), Jim blamed no one. God told him he would not be released from prison until he forgave everyone who had wronged him. Jim’s five-year confinement was God’s incubation for Jim’s transformation! And when Jim was freed from the prison, he was free indeed!

I encourage you today to consider if there is any sin in your life for which you are still making excuses or “half-blaming” someone else, release them, release yourself, and be free! (Read Matthew 18:21-35)

2 comments:

  1. I belive that the reason I hadn't been free in my past, and the key I found to freedom was the very thing that set me free! I remember a point in my life when I finally cenfessed to the Lord that it wasn't my dad's fault, the people that put me down, or my circumstance's fault for where I was in life, it was my fault, and ONLY mine! The unlocking and freedom that came from that honest and complete confession has made me a new man, and kept me a new man!

    Great blog as always Greg! In Him,
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David. Let's pray that the reality of this truth will set many free who, even in the slightest way (without knowing it) are still not as free as they can be. Full repentance equals full freedom!

    ReplyDelete