Friday, September 17, 2010

Slow to Speak; Quick to Listen

Three times in Isaiah 53:7 it says that Jesus was silent: “He did not open His mouth...” As believers, we must know how to open our mouths wide and shout to the Lord at times when we praise and thank Him. We must also know how to keep our mouths shut when we are insulted, criticized and slandered. Jesus knew how to praise His Father and He also knew how to be silent.

Unfortunately it is the other way round with many Christians. They are silent when it comes to shouting God’s praises in the meetings. But they do know how to shout and defend themselves when someone accuses them or hurts them. But that is the characteristic of an upside-down world, and Christians must be different.

The preceding is an excerpt from Zac Poonen’s Word for the Week “The Word of the Cross” that I wanted to share: it struck a chord with me, and hope it will with you too. I am all too quick to want to explain myself when I think I am being misunderstood. But that can prevent me from hearing what the Lord may be wanting to speak to me. Unlike Jesus who had done nothing wrong to defend, I do. And I need to stop and consider that before speaking. We must be slow to speak and quick to listen (James 1:19).

No comments:

Post a Comment