Monday, October 31, 2011

“Don’t Believe Anything I Tell You,” by Jack Kelley (an edited version)

“I tell you the truth. This generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.” (Matt. 24:34) One possible interpretation of this verse is that the Lord was referring to the people who would be alive when the signs of the End of the Age began to appear. Notice it doesn’t say all the end times prophecies will be fulfilled in the span of one generation.  It says they will be fulfilled within the lifetime of those born at the time of the first sign.

The length of our days is seventy years, or eighty, if we have the strength (Ps. 90:10). I interpret this verse to mean the average 'normal' life span for man is 70. Data collected by the UN between 2005-2010 show that the world wide average lifespan is 67.2 years.  Never in history has the entire world's average lifespan been 70 years of age. According to this interpretation, the end times could not begin until Israel was reborn because the Lord’s specific signs required it. If Israel’s rebirth in 1948 was the first end times sign, and if all end times prophecies will be fulfilled within the lifetime of those being born at that time, that would place the 2nd Coming about 70 years after 1948, or 2018. If the last 7 years can’t begin until the church is gone then the likelihood of the rapture occurring in 2011 is very high indeed.

I’ll remind you again as I have before that this is just my opinion. It is not my intention to pin down a date, but only to suggest a general time because the Bible says end times events shouldn’t take us by surprise.  I’ll close by reminding you of Paul’s warning not to believe anything I tell you, but to search the scriptures and come to your own conclusion (Acts 17:11). You’d better hurry though, because if you listen carefully you can almost hear the footsteps of the Messiah.

2 comments:

  1. I think these kinds of speculation distract Christians from fully engaging in what God wants them to do with their lives. Too many Christians who are not called into church ministry will not put value upon the contributions God wants them to make to the present culture. They will spend time looking up instead of looking out and making the long term commitments it takes to impact a nation and in this case, restoring America to its Judeo-Christian values, which I believe is God's will before He returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Linda, we ought not to let these things 'occupy' our attention to the point of 'checking out' on our commitment to live as Christ's ambassadors in this world. It's a careful balance to pray for His return and be occupied in His kingdom business until that happens.

    Thank you for your good comments.

    Greg (writing as anomyous since I can't leave a comment under my name, for some technical reason I don't understand~)

    ReplyDelete