Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Have you been WITH Jesus?

I love to study words. Sometimes even the smallest word can be loaded with meaning. Such is the word “with.” There are two words in the Greek language for “with.” One is functional, indicating accompaniment.  For example, “I am going with you to church.” But a second Greek word with expresses association, fellowship, and intimacy: the union of belief, convictions, actions and experiences.

When Peter and John healed a crippled man (Acts 4), the Pharisees became quite disturbed that Jesus’ name was being used and He was being glorified. And they were especially angry that they were losing control over the nascent, fast-growing, Christ-follower movement.  The Scripture says the Pharisees knew that Peter and John had been WITH Jesus (Acts 4:13).  By using this word with, Luke is saying the Pharisees were admitting that the disciples’ intimate relationship with Jesus was the source of their power.

Spending time alone, shut in your prayer closet, studying Him in the Scriptures until you really know Him: these are the ways we are WITH Jesus. Wouldn’t it be great if people would look at us and say “you have been WITH Jesus, haven’t you!?”

2 comments:

  1. Greg, this is confirmation of something the Lord put on my heart about a month ago and hasn't stopped telling me. I heard this EXACT thing from the Lord and it's been a powerful truth on which I stand and with which I replace many lies. Thank you for sharing this word as always. I am consistently reading your blogs and being refreshed, challenged, exhorted, and encouraged. Thank you for being so faithful in writing what the Spirit puts on your heart. He moves powerfully through your words. You are awesome...Cheers!!
    -Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement!! As long as God speaks, and as long as I am listening, I will be writing.

    Greg (writing as anonymous since the "comment" feature is not working for me!)

    ReplyDelete