Thursday, December 20, 2012

When Anxiety Looms, Faith Blooms

The mainstream media is warning of dire consequences of a fiscal disaster if our leaders are unable to overcome bipartisan bickering and  pass a budget. Though no one can see what is on the other side of the cliff, they are imagining it to be pretty bleak.

Thus, our Father’s promise to protect and provide for us has never seemed more comforting—rescuing us from the wrath to come (1 Thess. 1:10) and meeting all our needs in the mean time (Matt. 6:31-33).

When the believers in the early churches were facing insecure times, Paul counseled them to “fix your eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” (2 Cor. 4:18) Remembering that this world is temporary is one of the ways our hearts and minds will be protected from anxiety (Phil. 4:8).

Can’t you almost hear the Lord saying to us, “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; surely I will help you. Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand” (Is. 41:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment