Friday, July 3, 2009

Are You COPING or CONQUERING?

What would you think of me if I told you I own a watch that doesn’t keep good time? It usually runs about 30 minutes slow by the end of the day, but each new morning, I reset the time, hoping it will do better. First, you’d think my expectations are oddly low. Second, you’d want to know who the watch maker is so you can avoid purchasing one.

It seems to me this is how most Christians live their lives—with such limited expectation they bring into question the reliability of their Maker! Ouch!

ARE YOU JUST COPING WITH YOUR IMPERFECTIONS?

The Bible says we are free from the power of sin. In fact, the Bible tells us we should be pursuing “perfection” (also translated “mature” and/or “complete”) in our walk with God (Hebrews 6:1). This presumes that “perfection” is possible. Not afraid of using superlatives, Paul says: “we are more than conquerors.” YET IT SEEMS TO ME MOST CHRISTIANS DO MORE COPING THAN CONQUERING! We say ‘no,’ we will never be free of those nagging sins, always controlled by those nasty temptations. It’s just the way we are, we say; after all, we are sinners.

Why is it so hard for us to believe the power of sin is broken? Why do we so easily believe in the power of our sinful self life, but find it hard to believe in the greater power of Christ’s life? Paul says the life of Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death. Yet we still believe that sinning is inevitable!

Andrew Murray said: “The necessity of sinning daily and the impossibility of living for one day without actual transgression is a deeply-rooted belief in most Christians. Confusion about the believer’s freedom from the power of sin is so universal that most Christians consider it a dangerous doctrine.”

A. B. Simpson said: “most Christians hold to the subtle belief that it is impossible to be kept from sinning.”

Ray Stedman said: “
This struggle can cease only when we reckon on who we really are in Christ. It is a new self-image that delivers us. When we begin to think of ourselves as God thinks of us, we will find we have the power to say ‘No’ to sin.”
The Bible says we are sons of God with a new identity
(John 1:12; 2 Cor. 5:16-17) no longer slaves to the power of sin (Romans 6:6, 11). The greatest mistake Christians make is interpreting these wonderful truths by their own experience. They say “the Bible says I am dead to sin, but I seem to be alive,” paying more attention to their experience and feelings than to absolute truth.

Meditate on Paul’s statement on perfection: “Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own… [so] I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus… let us therefore, as many as are perfect, think this way…”
(Philippians 3:12-15, RSV). In other words, let's raise our expectations!

2 comments:

  1. Greg,

    This is truly a liberating message, the fact that we are free not to sin!

    I had a dream one night about this. I found myself in a dungeon, anchored to the wall by fetters attached to my feet and arms. My waist and neck were also secured to the wall by chains. There was a platform for me to sit on only enough to keep me from being asfixiated. The place I was in smelled of mold and mildew. I jurt all over from the wounds my manacles had caused.

    My head hung in despair. I had no hope. Suddenly, I became aware of a light source that had not been there the moment before. I looked up and saw Jesus just outside of my prison cell. He had a sword of light drawn and used it to cut through the prison bars, yet there was no noise. He came up to me with purpose in His eyes, yet they were full of mercy. He proceeded to cut me away from the wall. As the fetters fell to my side I realized I was free; yet they were still attached to my body. I had freedom of movement and I chose to use it by dancing, jumping up and down, whooping and hollering for joy that I was free!

    Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jesus and just for a moment I thought He was attempting to say something to me. But in my exhuberance I was spinning and the fetters still attached to my wrists cold-cocked me in the forehead and I went down, shaken but still happy in my newfound mobility. As Jesus came over to me to pick me up from where I had landed He spoke to me about the need to finish His work of emancipation and proceeded to cut away the fetters from off of my wrists and ankles. That way I was no longer a threat to myself, Him, or anyone else I might encounter. Then He told me that I needed to stand still long enough form Him to pour oil on my wounds so they could be healed and my freedom be made complete. Then, I woke up.

    I guess the message is that there is a difference from the Truth setting you free (from the wall) and being "free indeed" (receiving healing and complete detachment from those things that bind).

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan:
    Thanks for adding, again, another picture of the truth. Many are saved from the penalty of sin, but never experience freedom from the power of sin.

    ReplyDelete