Monday, July 13, 2009

Following Jesus is Like Going on a Good Diet: You Lose a Lot!

As I read my morning newspapers, I am amused by contradictory reports about gains and losses affecting our economy. Whether you want a gain or a loss depends on what you are measuring. You certainly want to see gains when reading the financial page. But a loss when standing on your bathroom scale.

In God's economy, gains and losses have a particularly symbiotic relationship. Progress is measured not by how much we gain, but how much we lose.

Jesus said “Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who despise their life in this world will keep [gain] it for eternal life”
(John 12:25 NLT). Paul said “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus...for whose sake I have lost all things...that I may gain Christ (Phil. 3:8 NIV).

“And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process? Is anything worth more than your soul?” (Mat 16:26 NLT). You’ve heard the expression “No pain, No gain.” While that is spiritually accurate, it is equally true to say: “No loss, No gain!”

2 comments:

  1. Greg,

    One of the main tools I use for my work has a blade that must be changed frequently. If it is not changed it becomes a hazard to the operator. Incorporated into every tool I have used for this kind of work is a "release" mechanism that must be activated in order for the exchange of blades to be a possibility.

    I was recently issued a newly-designed cutter. When it came time to change blades I was at a loss to figure out how to release the old blade so I can replace it with a new, sharp one. I was too embarrassed to ask anyone how to change the blades (I was told once how to do it but I promptly forgot the directions) and so I worjked for some time with a progressively dulling instrument (and it showed!). Finally I recalled how to do the exchange and resume my work with a perfectly sharp instrument designed to accomplish my tasks.

    The frustration I felt in not being able to release the old and exchange it for the new is comparable to the frustration of not understanding how to release--or "lose"--the remaining semblances of the old life. We have within us the ability to "lose" or release those things which have attached themselves to our soul through sin and self and the enemy's strategies. But the struggle to locate our own particular "release mechanism" is something that comes by determination and revelation from God! I have found a habit of reading and re-reading the Book of Proverbs greatly speeds this process up for me! Others may find a different way, but still they must find what works!

    And we need to be flexible as well because some strategies we use work better in different situations than others. We need God's Spirit to reveal these strategies to us!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stan: I sure hope people who read the blog are also reading your comments! The sad thing to me is how many people don't realize they need to put off the old behaviors, or worse that the old self was crucified with Christ. As I grew up, I don't think I was taught this, and if so, never got it!

    ReplyDelete