Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Are You Asking the Right Questions?

When my children were young, they asked lots of questions. That’s very normal. God made children to be inquisitive. It is how they learn, and how they develop mentally, psychologically, socially, and spiritually. When Jesus was 12, He spent three days in the synagogue, sitting in the midst of the teachers, asking questions (Luke 2:46).

My counselees always had lots of questions. Their questions were mostly the “what’s” and “why’s,” that is, “what” is happening to me and “why” is it happening? Sometimes, though, their question was more of a “why me?” than a legitimate question. My job was to help them see, by faith, what GOD was doing and why. When we truly want to know “what” God is doing in any given circumstance, and “why” God is either doing or allowing something in our lives, it is quite appropriate to ask God. “If you need wisdom--if you want to know what God wants you to do--ask him, and he will gladly tell you...”
(James 1:5).

The prophet Habakkuk was perplexed about what God was doing in the life of Israel. The entire book contains God’s answer, explaining His purposes and ultimate goodness. The prophet knew he was lacking in understanding so he asks his question, knowing full well the answer will bring clarity. He says “I will watch to see what He will say to me, and what I will answer when I am corrected"
(Habakkuk 2:1).

When you ask God your “what” or “why” questions, check you heart. Make sure it's not just a veiled complaint. Ask in faith, believing He will answer. James says, “You do not have [your answer] because you do not ask”
(4:3).

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Greg for your obedience to God's calling. I wanted to let you know what a timely writing this was for me, fully knowing that it is our loving God who gives us what we need at the time we need it when our hearts are open to Him. However I also realize it is the obedient which God uses to give to those in need often times. I wanted to encourage you in your pursuit of doing good and not growing weary. I have been greatly blessed in your obedience to Him. Thank you, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to hear this as I find myself complaining constantly. My car broke down; it was fixed only to break down again. I was set on moving; the location was perfect, rent cheaper, and close to both work and church, but the deal fell through. I find that I'm going in a cylce and instead of learning from it, I constantly complain! Thank you for this insight. I sat down yesterday and thought on the Lord. I asked him to please open my eyes to what He is doing; what He wants me to see in the midst of these circumstances. I'm encouraged, at peace. Thank you, Greg.

    ReplyDelete