Monday, August 17, 2009

Who Let the Dogs Out!

Today I’d like to reflect on “dogs” and “doors.”

After the Fall of Adam, Cain’s murder of Abel is the next recorded sin in the Bible. Cain was angry at God, but God, in His mercy, warns Cain “sin is crouching [or lying] at the door” and if he does not repent, it will master him.

“Sin is crouching at the door” is a great word picture. The phrase brings to mind the familiar image of a dog. Years ago, I had an old English sheep dog that would lie by the front door waiting for me to take him out. He wasn’t just passively lying, he was ‘crouching,’ ready to pounce the moment the door was opened. However, he was not the master; I was. And the door remained closed until I opened it. Once the door was opened, he was out the door and "in control" (or should I say "out of control").


Is the Holy Spirit telling us sin is like a DOG lying in wait, ready to master us? If so, the DOOR is the opening for sin and Satan. Paul says we should NOT give an “opening” or a “place” to the devil. (Eph. 4:27).

Even more to the point of today’s analogy, Paul says, “Beware of the dogs” (Phil. 3:2). In Paul’s day, packs of wild dogs roamed the streets scavenging for food—they would even attack a human. Paul is comparing “dogs” to “scavengers” roaming the Church to disturb the peace. This analogy is not too dissimilar from the “prowling lions…seeking someone to devour” that Peter warns of (1 Pet. 5:8). In both analogies, we are warned of their intentions to harm and/or master us.

When you are feeling irritated, frustrated, or angry, remember that “sin is crouching at the door.” So be careful. Don’t let it master you. Don’t let the dogs out!

3 comments:

  1. Greg,

    You have brought my understanding of that passage in Genesis 4 about Cain back to the point of accuracy! I had previously understood sin to have been crouching at the door on the outside, ready to invade and attack. That, in fact would place an individual on the defensive against sin which does not fit the context in God's reasoning with Cain. With your corrective exegesis of that word and easy to understand illustration from your own experience it now fits the entire context so much more consistent with the entire teaching of the Word regarding our need to retain the initiative with regard to our response to sin's pleas for indulgence. My previous understanding positioned me in a passive role of hunkering down in a fetal position, hiding as best as I could, waiting for temptation to go away--which it never did, anyhow. It was inside all of the time and when I peeked through the peephole to see if it was gone I didn't see anyone or anything to be afraid of! How deceived was I that when I opened the door carefully to confirm temptation's departure the dog got out!

    Once again, Greg, thank you for bringing to light the truth of God's Word!

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you but I must say I was thinking of being exegeticaly correct. A correct exegesis of any thought or passage is difficult in such a tiny blog space. But I am glad if it is a an accurate exegisis. If our "flesh" is where sin is crouching, then yes, it is on the inside, isn't it! This why our flesh must be kept under the cross's finished work.

    Currently, sin is crouching at my door as I find myself tempted, not to dissimilar to Cain, to resent that I am not being properly acknowledged for something I am doing. It is, pure and simple, PRIDE! I want to be recognized for my efforts. But God is doing a greater thing through this "lack of affirmation." He is giving me the opportunity to humble myself, and lay up treasure for myself in heaven. So, I must keep the sin of pride 'at bay' or he will master me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CORRECTION First sentence. I was NOT thinking of being exegetically correct.

    ReplyDelete