Thursday, August 6, 2009

At Home

One of our friends sent me an email earlier this week to tell me a dear friend of hers had died that morning. My immediate response was: “he’s AT HOME with the Lord.”

While reading through the Gospel of John yesterday, my attention was drawn to the familiar words:
If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him and WE will come to him and make our HOME with him
(John 14:23).

I realized that being “at home” with the Lord is a present reality. The words “at home” connote comfort, rest, contentment, love, intimacy, and familiarity. The phrase “Home Sweet Home” comes to mind! The more conscious we are of His internal dwelling presently, the more we will be “at home” with Him.

The original man and woman were “at home” with God in the Garden of Eden. But they sinned against God and became homeless! Through Jesus, God has brought us home to Himself, to His presence, to His love, to His Fellowship. And amazingly, we have become His dwelling place
(Eph. 3:17).

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Rev. 3:20). Are you “at home” with the Lord?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Greg,
    I'm catching up on your blog as I prepare to return from Brazil. Amen. Thinking about the happy prospect of being 'home' near the Smoky Mountains of east Tennessee set me up for this helpful insight of John 14:23. Would it be OK to send this one out as a Grace Note? Shalom to you, Altha & team. In Christ, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John: I'd be privileged to see this reflection added to your list of fine teachings. - Greg

    ReplyDelete