Thursday, February 2, 2012

DON’T PUT ME ON HOLD!

Yesterday I had a long-winded conversation with a phone answering robot before hearing those dreaded words: "PLEASE HOLD.”  Lately, it seems many of them have been re-programmed with a courtesy chip that says, “The approximate waiting time for the next representative will be __ minutes.”  I really like that feature because it allows me to adjust my expectations.

To say I get disappointed when a service provider tells me he will arrive at my home in 30 minutes, but doesn't for 2 hours, is an understatement. If they would just tell me the truth, it would prevent so much frustration: the stronger the expectation, the greater the disappointment. As long as I am given realistic expectations, I can contentedly occupy myself until he arrives.

Isaiah tells us “God acts on behalf of those who wait for Him” (Is. 64:4). That means that while I am waiting, He is acting. That gives me a peace of mind, knowing He is working ‘behind the scenes,’ and will respond to me when He is finished doing whatever it is He needs to do before He speaks.  Being “on hold” with God is not frustrating if I know He is going to answer me in His time. Whenever I start to become impatient, I remind myself: “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed" (Rom. 10:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment