Friday, December 20, 2013

Coexist?

This “Coexist” bumper sticker really caught my attention the other day; it so perfectly depicts the belief that there are many ways to God, called pluralism. But as I considered the ambiguity of pluralism, I wonder if it is not a stepping stone to a secular society that despises religious reference or affiliation.

The Pew Research Center says one in five Americans is thoroughly secularized, with no religious affiliation at all. Last year when I wrote about the movie “Life of Pi,” I claimed that the essence of the film's philosophy was captured in the words of Pi’s father who challenged the pluralistic beliefs of his son, saying, “believing in everything is the same thing as not believing anything at all.”

Previously, I saw that pluralism is really polytheism. Now I’m seeing it is a precursor to a secular society, based on humanism. No wonder Jesus asked, “Will I find faith on the earth when I return?” (Luke 18:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment