Friday, February 14, 2014

How’s Your Appetite?

After several months of hunger-suppressing chemo-therapy, I am getting my appetite back. As I was reading an article about how to increase your appetite, it occurred to me that a lot of believers struggle with a low appetite for God’s word. The reason: a steady diet of the world’s empty-but-filling foodstuffs can suppress one's craving for spiritual fare.

Here are a few suggestions on how to increase your hunger for God's food, remembering that man does not live by bread alone (Matt. 4:4).

First, eat small amounts more frequently. If you feel full after eating only a small amount, try eating small amounts throughout the day. Second, maintain regular mealtimes. (By the way, many people have their best appetite in the morning, when they're rested.) Third, eat more when you are hungry—those times when you feel that craving. And finally, create a pleasant mealtime atmosphere. For example, use soft music, candles or nice place settings. In other words, make your meals a special time and place.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Greg,
    Good points, all! For me, the biggest point of all is not just to study until I learn something, but also to study until I learn something that I can share. I have learned that when I share a truth, I learn it better, and I own it better. And once I share something, it makes me more accountable for the truth that I know.
    Godspeed!
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed. I have always said the gift of teaching is a great blessing for that very reason. A teacher studies for 10 hours in order to teach a half-hour. In the process, he has learned far more than the student. Besides, the student is like a baby bird eating its mother's regurgitated food. Yuck! But the teacher has had the joy of feasting on the Word. For example, behind these succinct posts I write, is about 3 or 4 hours of study and research and reflection. Everyone of them is a nutritious morsel to me. And the more I 'eat,' the more I want to eat. On the other hand, when 'life' distracts me from my study time, it doesn't take long to lose my appetite. One could write books about this subject!

    ReplyDelete