Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Where are the Tears?

“While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death” (Heb. 5:7). 

Of Andrew Bonar, a Scottish minister used mightily of God during the great Revival of 1839-1840, it is said, he cared, wept and prayed like Jesus.

In the 17th century, Samuel Rutherford, said, “A bed watered with tears, a throat dry with praying, eyes a fountain of tears for the sins of the land are rarely to be found among us.”
 
Recently, David Smithers of the “Awake and Go Prayer Global Network,” wrote, “Far too often our own eyes are dry because we are blind to the needs around us... blinded by the temporal, we can no longer see the holiness of heaven and horrors of hell.” (edited)

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Greg,
    Thoughtful post. Thank you. All too often it is far too easy for me to acquiesce to the myopic ego-centric "me-world" and cry the tears for my own hurts. Owning the pain of someone else to the point of crying requires me to give up my own self first mentality. That idol in my life does not go without a serious fight (more like pray and fasting) and is always at the door pouncing on every weak moment.
    That said, in order to be redeemed, every tear needs to be shed into the lap of God so that it is not just a wasted emotion, but a call to action; making a difference more than just in my life.
    Thank you for the nudge.
    Godspeed!
    Larry Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Larry, I chose these simple quotes because they revealed my numbing out, perhaps a result of constant media bombardment with the horrible things in this world. The Israelites hardened their hearts and were kept from entering God's rest. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete