Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Naked Runner

[I thought the title of this 1967 Frank Sinatra movie might grab your attention! The movie has nothing to do with my thought today, as I am led to continue the theme: God's Gymnasium.]

In the 23 years of being a member of fitness clubs, I have never employed a personal fitness trainer. Having a personal trainer is just too…well, too personal! I don’t want anyone looking that closely at my body!

As I said in my earlier post
(“Are You Spending Enough Time in God’s Gymnasium?” May 18, 2009), the word for training is “gymnazo.” This Greek word is derived from the word "naked," referring to how the Greek athletes stripped down in the ancient games.


By using the Greek word “train” (Hebrews 12:11) the author pictures God as our “Personal Trainer” who knows our spiritual needs intimately, seeing “everything” about our spiritual condition— “And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account” (Hebrews 4:13).

In God’s Gymnasium, you have a Personal Trainer. And He knows exactly what exercise you need to be built up in your faith. And not only what 'muscles' you need to exercise, He knows exactly how much resistance is necessary to increase your spiritual strength! (See yesterday's blog post)

No comments:

Post a Comment