Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Time is the One Thing You can Spend, but You Can't Save

One year ago this month, I wrote in my journal “today is the first day of the rest of my life.” It was the day after I retired from my job with the Federal government.

For 25 years, I worked two jobs and never seemed to have enough time. Time was a precious commodity. And now I have time—more time than I have ever had; and I savor it! But even though I have a lot of it (my bank account is full!), I have to spend it every day: I cannot save it!

When I turned 60 I became very conscious that I have much less time ahead of me than behind me. And it has made me conscious of “spending” my time wisely. How? I “spend” my time on people: investing in people. These are good deposits that will go into my ‘heavenly’ account!

But you don’t have to be “old” like me to value your time. I know two young men who are currently “under-employed,” and waiting for God to open the next door of opportunity. They have time on their hands. They can be bored and restless, or they can enjoy this "season" by spending this “spare time” on making deposits, good investments into their heavenly account.

It’s possible to waste your time, ‘waiting’ for the next opportunity, but miss the one right in front of you today. Every day God gives you opportunities to “spend” your time on something eternal.

The Psalmist said: “Teach us to number our days”.

Paul said, “Buy up the time [use it wisely] because the days are evil.”

Herb Caen said: “Live every day as if it’s your last. One day you’ll be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment