Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What Would God Say About You?

One of the Bible teachers I listen to online is Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle. The Mars Hill church is 21st Century culture-friendly. As a leader of a very contemporary church, Mark Driscoll comes under criticism from conservative church leaders. Some of the criticism is based on lies and/or distortions of the truth.

One Sunday morning Mark was speaking on “suffering” in 1 Peter, and by way of personal example, told how he had suffered from the unfair, incorrect, even mean-spirited criticism he received. Mark felt justified in defending his reputation. But doing so was wearing him out. Out of his despair, the Lord spoke to Mark: will you trust Me with your reputation? And in that moment of surrender, Mark found freedom in no longer being concerned about what others thought of him!


As I reflected on Mark’s experience, l was reminded that all that really matters is how God esteems us. And I thought of God's words about Job: “And the Lord said to Satan, ‘Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil.’”

And then the thought struck me: What would God say about me to Satan? “Have you considered my servant Greg? For there is no one like him in California, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil.”

…excuse me while I lock myself in my closet for a few moments of honest self-assessment… (Oh, and by the way, what do you think God would say about you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment