Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No Returns

One of my favorite passages in the Old Testament is found in Isaiah 30. I have long been comforted by the words in verse 15, in particular: “In returning and rest you shall be saved…” The word “return” is also translated “repent.” Repentance is simply returning. Returning to what? To the point of departure. Going back to the point where you left Him, left truth, left faith.

As I’ve studied this word “return,” I see it all over the Scriptures, most especially in the prophets—always exhorting a wayward, wandering people back to God. And God says “if you seek Him, you will find Him” (2 Chron. 15:2, 4, 15; Acts 17:27).

I am going through one of those days (weeks) when I am so distracted by earthly things, I feel very earthbound (and I hate it!). At these times, I am reminded by the comforting words that we find our “rest” when we return to him. And as many times a day as I must turn, He is always there waiting for me; always there to be found! Aren’t you glad we have a God who does not have a “No Return” policy?

No comments:

Post a Comment