Friday, December 23, 2011

What’s so Merry about Christmas?

This Christmas day, many millions of our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world are lacking adequate shelter, food, and clean water. And an estimated 100 million of them suffer interrogation, arrest and even death for their faith in Christ. For these deprived and persecuted members of our family, what’s so “merry” about their Christmas?
Please don't  think I'm a Grinch!  But considering the aforementioned, don't you think the festive word “merry” might be just a little too frivolous, or at least insensitive?  Is there a more appropriate word? As I tried to answer that question for myself, I discovered that the root of “merry” is “peace.”  Throughout civilization, “Peace” has been the universal greeting.  Still today Jews say, “shalom” and Muslims, “salam.”  Perhaps because the early Christians suffered persecution and deprivation (Heb 10:32), Paul began his letters with "Peace be with you" (1 Cor 1:3, 2 Cor, 1:2; Gal 1:3; Eph 1:2, etc).
Sadly, not everyone will have a "merry" Christmas, but everyone who knows the “Prince of Peace” can enjoy the “peace of God” (Is. 9:6; 1 Thess. 5:23; Phil. 4:7). And so, to all of you, Altha and I pray “that God would fill you with all joy and peace so that you may overflow with hope” this Christmas (Rom. 15:13). 
Peace be with you.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true... We tend not to realize many thing but I am blessed to know I have "peace" even though we do not have much in Life. I am truly blessed. The gifts sometimes are needed but just as long as I know I have a family and a bed to sleep on I am thankful. Love this post Dr. Burts it really helps us open our eyes and be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wright. I pray that God will continue to bless you by opeining your eyes more and more to His blessings.

    ReplyDelete