Monday, May 20, 2013

"Lord, what are you planning to do with me"

Any regular reader of this blog knows there has been a “frequency failure.”  Extraordinary life circumstances over the last 6 months have resulted in an energy consumption that limited my capacity to write and research.  And, looking ahead, I foresee more energy leaks that will reduce my rate of writ.  Despite this, I do have plans: to have a total of 1,000 posts by year's end (today's post is my 926th), and then to index them all by subject.

Woody Allen is credited with saying, “If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.” Is it really wrong to makes plans? Evidently not. Solomon, somewhat wiser than Woody Allen, said “we can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps” (Prov. 16:9). To me, this simply means, “Make your plans; pray your plans, but don’t brand your plans.” Why? 

Solomon says: “There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death… [Hence] the sensible man considers his steps” (Prov. 16:12, 19, NLT).  In other words, no matter how well-intentioned, man-made plans will ‘die on the vine,’ “but the LORD's plans stand firm forever” (Ps. 33:11). Thus, my prayer is, Lord, what are You planning to do with me? And that's no laughing matter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Greg,
    I honor you for continuing to persevere. Yes, "Life is what happens when we were making other plans." If the foundation is secure, then the plans to build the house have a chance to succeed. However, if we feel that in our planning we are the lord of all we survey, and we hold tightly to that, then we should not be surprised if we become a little looney (like a king who eats grass). But if we make plans that also include, "not as I will, but His be done" and allow God to be God, then we have a chance to experience something better. Namely, God in every moment; which is what I experience as the truly abundant life: God is present; God is not silent; God is for me.
    I am gratified first that God is present for you; God is speaking to you in this experience; and that God is for you! Most of all, I am glad that you are not silent in all of this. Just showing up, and speaking up is one of the big keys to faithful obedience. And God relishes faithful obedience, and is one of the ways that you please God!
    Greg, I honor you.
    Godspeed!
    Larry Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Larry. And one thing I can be assured of: I am planning to speak as long as He gives me strength to do so. And another thing I'm planning: I'm planning to grow!

    ReplyDelete