Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Lettuce Eat for Life

Last week I received a telephone call from the Blue Shield cancer-consultant, advising me she will, at the end of my treatments, prescribe a diet to build up my immunities. I'm anticipating a toxic-free regimen of organic, fibrous fruits and vegetables that will not, however, do well in my no-pancreas stomach.

Coincidentally, I happened to read an e-teaching about eating for life, claiming that godly eaters will be blessed with long life. I wondered how other people like me, who have been given a prognosis of a shortened life, would respond to his “godliness = long life” assertion.

After Jesus provided a free lunch to the 5,000, they all wanted to be His disciples-for-life. But He rebuked them, “You’re following me, not because of the miracles you saw Me do, which should have convinced you I am God, but because you think I can satisfy your sensual appetites” (John 6:26 paraphrase). Prescribing a better diet for life, He said, “Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have no life in you” (John 6:53). Fruits and vegetables are good for the body. But lettuce eat for soul. Lettuce eat from the Tree of Life.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Greg, Good post. Good play on words. And to continue the thought, here are some more lettuce verses, this time just from Hebrews:
    4:16 - Let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace
    6:1 - Let us press on to maturity
    10:22 - Let us draw near with a sincere heart
    10:23 - Let us hold fast the confession of our hope
    10:24 Let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds
    12:1 Let us lay aside every encumbrance.
    12:2 Let us run with endurance
    12:28 Let us show gratitude
    13:13 Let us go out to Him outside the camp
    13: 15 Let us offer up a sacrifice of praise of lips

    Lots of fibrous stuff there to process.

    I am grateful that you are one of the "let us" people in my life. Thank you for your faithfulness and encouragement.

    Godspeed!
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the writer of Hebrews seemed to love salads!

    ReplyDelete